Services announced for slain Duarte resident

Services announced for slain Duarte resident
de la torre

De La Torre (far right) at a local high school graduation. Funeral details have been announced.

Services have been announced for slain Duarte resident Gabriel “Gordo” De La Torre, who was allegedly shot by neighbor Luis Valdes-Santillan on Friday night. A viewing will be held on August 28 at Turners & Stevens Live Oak Mortuary in Monrovia, from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Mass will be celebrated the following morning at 10 a.m. at Immaculate Conception Church in Monrovia.

A family friend of De La Torre’s launched a GoFundMe campaign to pay for funeral expenses on Saturday. The campaign, which has taken 107 donations since launch, was less than $600 from its $20,000 goal at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The family also used GoFundMe to correct the record details surrounding the shooting on Friday night. They said there was no house party on Friday night, but only a few friends and family were gathered at De La Torre’s residence. The update also said there was no argument before the shooting, as had been previously reported.

Only the people involved really know what truly happened that night,” family members wrote.

menu
menu